Monday, March 22, 2010

Political Parties

http://www.elcivics.com/images/political-parties-united-st.jpg

I'm starting to believe that I need to start a craft blog if I want to make money on blogging. But then I would have to start crafting. I'm not sure I would make enough money to subsidize crafting. Once I start a craft, I have to pay someone to make one that looks good. Perhaps one day I will post all of the quilts I have been starting. Then I will post them finished. It should be exciting. But until then...
Kevin and I recently went to the Montana Democrat Party Fundraiser. Yes. Democrat. The one with the donkey, not the elephant. The Montana Dental Society bought a table and then no dentists volunteered to go. The society pres had to go by default and then they asked Kevin. I guess somehow they found out that Kevin is slightly political. We needed to find another couple so the table would be full. We decided to invite the most Republican couple we know. The husband is more Libertarian, actually. He gave our 2 year old a Glen Beck book for his birthday. Seth has not read it yet.

We drove up to the fair grounds and past the protesters. I am assuming they were Republicans but they were not well dressed Republicans. I'm not sure they were told that Republicans are known to want, like, kill for money. Most of these guys (I don't remember any women) did not look as though they had shaved, showered, or changed clothes since Obama was elected. I did not understand many of the signs and I'm pretty sure I didn't wanna. One guy held a big chunk of ice with a sign about global warming. I wanted to tell him that I think all Montanans, whatever political preference, are for global warming because it is so bitingly cold here. But I didn't want to roll down the window.

We parked and as we walked in we walked by more protesters. These were well dressed and had plates with coal. We stopped and talked to them because we didn't get it. I guess the gov wants to use liquid coal as an alternative energy source and these people say it is too dirty. I wanted to point out that they didn't seem to have any on their clothes, or their hands so it seemed pretty clean to me, but I didn't want Kevin to have to get into a fist fight to protect my honor.

The first step we got inside, Kevin started working the room. We found our table and Kevin popped up every four minutes to say hi to someone else he knew. He finally sat down once the speakers came up to the podium. This is where it got interesting.

As each democrat in state gov't got up, they asked for a round of applause for other democrat state workers. We kept clapping for the people who had spoken or would speak. The next person would get up and instead of saying anything of substance, they would ask for a round of applause for other people. The worst was Senator Max Baucus. I started to think that he hadn't prepared anything to say and once we clapped for everyone who had just been clapped for, he would sit down. By the end of the fourth speaker, I was expecting a football team to come running out. I had not cheered so much for a team since our high school pep rally for homecoming. "We will break the homecoming losing streak started since this high school opened and we WILL WIN."

The evening ended with two guest speakers who spoke about how far Democrats have come in the west. Everyone spoke about how we need more women in gov't positions. I said I would take their spot if they stepped down and then there would be another woman in a gov't position. No one volunteered. Odd, that. It lasted 4 hours and then Kevin spoke to a few more people that I nodded at and pretended to know what their gov't position actually means and we came home.

Due to my sister in law getting married, we missed the Republican fund raiser. Awe shucks.
I am a fairly middle person when it comes to politics, but I was getting really sick of cheering for people. One lady wasn't getting much applause and she walked around waving until it got louder and then she started to speak. After making people clap louder for her, she told everyone to quiet down. I wanted to slap her.

I sat there, watching the festivities, thinking, there is no way I can be supportive of my spouse running for an office if I must attend more than one of these things in my lifetime. I would rather work at McDonald's to earn money for his campaign rather than pretend to like people I am clapping for. Everyone acted like they were all close friends because they belonged to the same political party. I knew, however, that if I just stopped by one of their homes, they would not allow me in. They might even call the police on me if I did it often enough. I don't understand what these pep rallys accomplish. If someone could please explain, I would be much appreciative. Until then, I refuse to get off any stage until people clap for me for at least two minutes. (This includes giving a talk in church.)

No comments: