Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I am an Anglo Saxon.

See full size image


I haven't posted for a while. I have been in deep contemplation. I have wondered why anyone is reading what I am writing. Then I read an old professor's writing and I realized that sometimes it is just nice to see how other people experience life and for me it is nice to see how they write about it. My profoundness is overwhelming at times.

I just got back from Mexico. It was relaxing and revealing at the same time. There was a time in my life, when most of my friends would have bet good money that I would end up with a Latino Lover. Perhaps I should say a permanent Latino Lover. Many have tried to teach me to Salsa and Samba but none have succeeded. I realized at that time that I have anglo saxon hips. For some reason I did not realize that I am 100% Anglo Saxon. I realized this last week.

I am meant to vacation in Europe where I do not have to slather on an inch of sun screen before I open the blinds of my hotel room. The last day we were there, I fell asleep under a beach umbrella with two bathing suit covers on (really a t shirt and a wrap). The sun moved and my feet sunburned. We used a gel sun screen and so I washed my hands after applying. My hands got very burned.

We did a zip line in the jungle and I realized that I don't enjoy sweating. It was nice to not have dry lips or skin or eyes, but it didn't really balance out.

Fourteen years ago I thought I would live in Mexico or South America part time. I thought I would be fluent in Spanish and be teaching millions. Now I realize I would have lasted a month before I died a slow death from cooking alive. I am Anglo Saxon. I have always been Anglo Saxon. I am supposed to live where it rains 50% of the time and is often overcast and there is cold wind but I can handle it as long as I have a wool tartan outfit. This is who I am. I am Anglo Saxon woman.

1 comment:

S-T.E.C.H. said...

Have I told you lately that I love you? You crack me up.