Monday, December 1, 2008

I'm supposed to be European

Scotland - Ecosse - Edinburgh: Scottish coat of arms (photo by F.Rigaud)


I want to speak Spanish, Chinese, French, and perhaps an African language. I want to live in all of these places and learn about their societies. I want to celebrate their festivals and wear their clothes. I want to blend in as much as a 5’10” redhead can. I want my children to grow up knowing about different people and understanding that we all make the world go around. I don’t want my 6 year old to see an Indian and ask, “Is he a terrorist?” (Never mind that when I was 6 I had no clue what a terrorist was.)

Instead I live in Montana where there are at least two ethnicities; I'm just not sure which two. People have license plates that say “cattle not condos.” I never knew there was a choice. How does one choose between the two? What happens if you want a house? What if you want a house made out of beef? These questions keep me up at night. I wonder if that is why I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

No comments: